Friday, January 11, 2008: The 6 year anniversary of the first prisoners being brought to Guantánamo.
Last year on January 11th, after 500 people processed from the Supreme Court to the Federal court, 150 people risked arrest on behalf of the men in Guantanamo, with 88 being arrested inside the Federal Court in DC. Many of those arrested withheld their identification and took the names of men at Guantanamo. It was a very powerful day, made possible by the contributions of many in the extended Catholic Worker family.
This year, we again are working with many groups on a demonstration in Washington, D.C. The day will begin with a rally at the National Mall co-sponsored with Amnesty International and the National Religious Campaign Against Torture followed by a “prisoner procession” to the Supreme Court. Endorsed by the American Civil Liberties Union, Bill of Rights Defense Committee, CodePink, International Federation for Human Rights, Network of Spiritual Progressives, Peace Action, School of the Americas Watch, Torture Abolition and Survivors Support Coalition International, United for Peace and Justice, War Resisters League, and other groups.
Come to DC or organize a vigil, demonstration or speaker in your own community!
- SEE details about Jan 11 schedule of events in Washington, DC.
- READ our call to action.
- ENDORSE the Jan 11 Day of Action or VIEW list of endorsers.
- DOWNLOAD flyers, web buttons, adaptable press release, and more.
- FIND housing, food, transportation, legal and other logistical info.
- VIEW a list of scheduled Jan 11 events or POST your event to our calendar.
- GET tips and ideas for organizing actions. [NEW!]
- DONATE and support the Jan 11th mobilization.